Growth hacking is a hot term being used a lot among digital marketing agencies and start ups, but what, exactly, does it mean? Here’s a quick infographic guide to understanding growth hacking, and 14 tactics your agency can implement to drive quick and sustainable growth.
Share this Image On Your Site
What is Growth Hacking?
No cost or low-cost, unconventional marketing tactics to drive rapid growth.
Where Did Growth Hacking Come From?
The term was coined in 2010 by Sean Ellis to describe the type of person he needed to drive growth when a traditional marketer wouldn’t cut it.
How to Start Growth Hacking for Your Clients
1. Define smaller goals
2. Brainstorm growth hack ideas
3. Execute your ideas
4. A/B test like a maniac!
5. Analyze, learn, tweak and repeat
Cool Companies Using Growth Hacking
Users to earn more space by sharing Dropbox on social media
Integrated app with Craigslist to create inbound links and drive traffic
Used guest blogging when the young startup had little to no connections
Members give their visitors free SEO audits in exchange for their contact info
Users must share Checkli.com to access custom features
Created a one click checkout process
Great Growth Hacking Ideas You Can Implement Right Now
- Ask users to share in exchange for a download or access
- Use tools like PayWithaTweet or Social Locker
- Add targeted messages in captchas
- For example, make users type “STARBUCKS” (or your brand name) to verify they’re human
- Enclose checkouts
- Do this by hiding distracting menus and other options during checkout
- Social media sign up buttons
- Use Facebook Connect, Twitter Connect, and Linkedin Connect to also gather social contact info from users
- Qualitative analytics
- Use tools like Qualaroo to survey your website’s visitors
- Feel bad popup
- Instead of “No thanks” make users click “No thanks, I hate awesome stuff”
- Facebook commenting
- This way, comments also post to your user Facebook walls
- Repurpose your content
- Slideshare, YouTube, resources, blog posts, webinars, etc.
- Easter egg marketing
- Integrate fun secrets, hidden features, and tucked-away games
- API integration
- Make your tools work and integrate with other awesome tools
- Force new members to learn your product when signing up
- Dynamic social proof
- Show and highlight impressive stats on your home page
- A/B test
- Test and compare different variations to find the best results
- Bribe email subscribers
- Give free downloads, ebooks, and access to visitors who subscribe